TN-2 Visa for Mexicans

What are the requirements for a TN-2 Visa for Mexican Professionals?

To apply for a TN-2 visa, you must:

  • be a Mexican citizen

  • intend to engage in employment in a NAFTA approved profession. (See here for a list of approved TN professions).

  • have an offer of employment from a U.S.-based company

  • possess the necessary credentials to be considered a professional in the approved profession listed on the visa application. A bachelor's degree or higher is usually required for all approved professions on the list. If the profession requires licensing, then the applicant must possess the requisite license.

  • intend to stay in the U.S. for a temporary period and show no demonstrable immigrant intent.

  • A non-immigrant visa issued by the U.S. Consulate.

What are the benefits of a TN-2 Visa for Mexican professionals?

  • There is no limit on the number of TN visas granted in the U.S. per year. This means that as a Mexican professional, you will be guaranteed a TN-2 visa if you meet all of the other requirements for obtaining the visa.

  • You will have permission to legally work in the U.S. Thanks to NAFTA, the TN-2 status allows Mexican professionals to enter the United States to work in a professional capacity.

  • You may renew your TN-2 visa indefinitely. TN-2 status is granted for a period of three years, but can be renewed indefinitely for additional three year periods.

  • There is very little waiting time for your TN-2 visa to be processed. As mentioned previously, your TN-2 visa application may be made at the border at a port of entry. If you can provide the correctly completed application, required documents and the appropriate fee, you may be granted a TN-2 visa on the same day that the application is made.

  • You may bring your spouse and dependent children with you to the U.S. for the duration of your stay here. Dependents of the TN-2 petitioner may apply for a TD status visa and accompany the principle petitioner to the U.S.

How do I apply for a TN-2 Visa as a Mexican Professional?

To apply for a TN-2 visa as a professional from Mexico, you must first complete the online DS-160 non-immigrant visa application online with the U.S. Department of State. You will then be required to schedule an interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you.

You will need to pay a $160 US fee at the time of interview and will be required to bring specific documents. For additional information on how to apply for a TN-2 NAFTA visa, contact our experienced immigration lawyers in Los Angeles now for a free consultation.