Renew or Replace Green Card

What is a permanent resident “Green Card”?

USCIS issues every permanent resident card or “Green Card.” This is the actual document card issued by United States to serve as proof of your permanent resident status in the United States. Your green card can also be used as a valid identification document and shows eligibility to live and work in the U.S.

Although some Green Cards contain no expiration date, most are valid for periods of 10 years at a time. It is important to note that if you have been granted conditional permanent resident status, your card is only valid for 2 years, at which point you must file a Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

What happens if my Green Card expires?

It is very important that the Green Card is kept up to date as it may be difficult to prove that you are a permanent resident without it. This could also affect your ability to travel and prove work eligibility in the United States.

If your lawful permanent resident card expires, or is lost, you must replace it immediately. It is strongly encouraged that you contact our experienced U.S. immigration attorneys who can provide a FREE consultation to see the best option available to you.

What application do I file to replace or renew my permanent resident Green Card?

If you are a lawful permanent resident whose 10-year permanent resident card (“Green Card”) has expired or will expire within the next 6 months, you may begin the renewal process by:

  1. E-file online;

  2. Filing a paper application to Replace Permanent Resident Card; or,

  3. Hiring an immigration lawyer to do the process for you (recommended).

Typically, our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have had success in getting Green Cards renewed for our clients in as little as 90 – 120 days. The processing time is generally faster when a lawyer prepares the application as sometimes applicants may miss important information and risk having their applications rejected by USCIS. Contact us now for a FREE consultation.

What is the fee to replace or renew my Green Card?

The filing fee is $450, which includes a $365 form fee and $85 biometric services fee. There are several exceptions to the biometrics fee. Please contact our immigration attorney for guidance on this fee.

My Green Card expired and I need to travel, how can I show that I am a permanent resident?

A great service that our immigration attorney in Los Angeles offers is called an I-551 stamp process. In this process, once the applicant has filed an application to replace the green card, and obtained the official receipt notice from USCIS, our immigration lawyer in Los Angeles can visit the USCIS LA office with the applicant’s passport and obtain an I-551 stamp in the passport, which establishes lawful permanent resident status for the period of 1 year while the Form I-90 application processes, in order to show legal status to work and live in the United States as well as provide the ability to travel outside the U.S. and return as a permanent resident.

When do I need to renew my permanent resident card?

If you were issued a 10 year green card that has either expired or will expire within the next 6 months, you should renew your Green Card.

It is important to note that in a circumstance where you permanent resident card is only valid for 2 years, you are a conditional resident of the United States. You will need to file a petition to remove the conditions of your residence 90 days before your Green Card expires. If your petition is approved, you will receive a 10 year permanent resident card. You do not need to file Form I-90.

When do I need to replace my permanent resident card?

You should apply to replace your permanent resident card if the information on your card needs to be changed, or if your card has been lost, stolen or damaged.

You are also required to replace your Green Card at the age of 14 if you became a permanent resident prior to that age.

Contact our Los Angeles immigration office now for a free consultation and guidance on renewing your permanent resident Green Card.