My marriage Green Card interview is soon, what questions may the immigration officer ask?
If you were an immigration officer, what questions would you ask? Look at your daily life, and your history as a couple. Try to imagine possible questions, and ask them of each other as you prepare for your visa or green card interview. The immigration officer will want to know about things that both of you should know just from living and being together as a couple and are usually obvious or easy answers. The interviewer is not interested in long, indefinite discussions of opinion or speculation. The following are some questions that might be asked of you and your spouse.
If you need any help in applying for your marriage based green card or preparing for the interview, please call or email our experienced Los Angeles immigration attorneys for a free initial consultation today.
Read more about the green card application process based on marriage here.
The Story of Your Romance
- Where did you meet?
- How did you meet?
- Did someone introduce you or did you have common friends?
- What things did the two of you have in common?
- Where did you go for dates?
- When did your relationship turn romantic?
- Did you introduce family and friends? When?
- What did your friends or family say about your partner?
- How long was it before you decided to get married?
- Who proposed to whom?
- How long was your engagement?
- Did one of you give or receive any ring or other commemoration of the engagement?
- Why did you decide to have a [long, short] engagement?
- Did your parents approve of the marriage?
- When was your wedding?
- Where was it held?
- How was it planned and who paid for what?
- What were the colors or theme?
- How many people attended your wedding?
- Did each of your parents attend?
- Was there music or other entertainment?
- Were there any special religious or event based activities?
- What kind of cake or other food did you serve?
- Who were the bridesmaids/groomsmen?
- How late did the guests stay?
- Was there a reception? Where was it?
- Did the bride change clothes for the reception?
- Did you serve liquor? What kind?
- Did anyone make speeches at the wedding?
- Did anyone get drunk or otherwise embarrass themselves at the reception? Who? Describe.
- What time did you and your spouse leave the reception?
- Did you go on a honeymoon? Where? When did you leave? How did you get there? What airlines?
Your Daily Routines Together
- Who gets up first? At what time?
- How many alarm clocks do you set in the morning?
- Who makes breakfast?
- What do each of you eat for breakfast?
- Does your spouse drink coffee or tea in the morning?
- What time do the working spouse or spouses arrive home?
- Who cleans the house?
- What day is your garbage picked up?
- Who takes care of paying the bills?
- Do you have a joint bank account? Where?
- Do you have a cat, dog, or other pet? Who feeds it? Who walks it (or cleans its kitty litter box, cage, etc.)?
- Do you and/or your spouse attend regular religious services? Where?
- Where do you keep the spare toilet paper?
- Do you have children? Stepchildren? How many, what names and ages?
- Who picks up the children from school?
- Who packs lunches for the kids?
- What are their favorite toys/activities?
- What are their least favorite foods?
- Which children (if any) still use a car seat?
- What is your usual babysitter’s name?
- Who does most of the cooking?
- Who does the grocery shopping? Where?
- How many times a week on average do you eat out?
- What is your favorite restaurant for special occasions? For weekly outings?
- What restaurant do you and your husband usually order take out from? Where do you keep the menus?
- Is there a particular food that you eat every week?
- What is your spouse’s favorite/least favorite food?
- What color are the kitchen curtains?
- What type/color of refrigerator, dishwasher, etc. do you have?
- Do you have a barbecue grill? Do you use it?
Other Family Members
- Have you met each other’s parents?
- How often do you see each other’s parents?
- When was the last time you saw them? Where? For how long?
- On important holidays, do you buy individual gifts for your parents-in-law? Do they buy individual gifts for you?
- How do each of you get along with your parents-in-law?
- Which other members of your spouse’s family do you see frequently? When was the last time you saw them? What did you do together?
Around the House
- Do you live in a home or apartment? Who pays the mortgage or rent? How much is it?
- Is there a carpet in your front hallway? What color?
- Is your sofa a regular one or does it have a pull-out bed?
- Have you ever had houseguests sleep there?
- What type of curtains or window coverings are in your living room? What color?
- How many staircases are in your house?
- How many sinks, toilets, and showers are there in your house or apartment in total?
- Do you leave any lights on when you go to sleep at night?
- What size is your bed (Twin, Queen, or King)?
- Do you have a regular mattress, futon, or waterbed?
- How many windows are there in your bedroom?
- What color are your spouse’s pajamas?
- Who sleeps on each side of the bed?
- If applicable, what form of contraception (birth control) do you use?
- Where do you keep your toothbrushes?
- What kind of toothpaste, soap, and shampoo does each of you use?
- What perfume or cologne does your spouse wear, if any?
- Do either of you read or watch television before going to sleep? Do you have lamps next to your bed?
- Have you ever had an argument that resulted in one of you sleeping in another room? Who, and which room?
- How many land-line telephones are in your house? Where are they?
- Do you have an answering machine on your home telephone? Who checks the messages?
- How many televisions are in the house? In which rooms? Do you watch shows together, or separately? Name one show that you always watch together.
- Do you record any television shows?
- Do you subscribe to a DVD rental service?
- Does your spouse listen to the radio? What station?
- How many cars do you have?
- Do you have a garage? Who parks in it? Do you use a garage door opener?
- When you go out, who usually drives and which car?
- When is your spouse’s birthday?
- What did you do for your spouse’s last birthday?
- How did you celebrate your most recent wedding anniversary?
- Do you have a camera? Who uses it most often? Who takes pictures at important family occasions?
- What holidays do you celebrate together?
- What’s the most important holiday of the year in your household? Where do you typically celebrate it?
- Have you and your spouse gone to see a movie or other form of entertainment lately? When, and what did you see?
- What did the two of you do last New Year’s Eve? 4th of July?
Our U.S. immigration attorneys in Los Angeles can help prepare you for your interview with our extensive list of sample questions. For a FREE consultation, or to have us attend your interview with you, contact us now.