L-1 Visa Dependents


L-2 Visa for L-1 Visa Holder Dependents

USCIS tries to respect the value of the family unit.  Even though the L visa is a temporary, non immigrant visa, the spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are eligible to accompany the L-1 visa holder on L-2 visa.

Duration of Stay

The duration of legal stay with an L-2 visa is the same as that of the L-1 visa holder.   L-2 dependents may stay up to 7 years if they are in the U.S. with an L-1A visa holder and up to 5 years in case of L-2 dependents of L-1B visa holders.   L-2 visa holders are allowed to travel in and out of the U.S. provided their L-2 visa status and L-2 visa stamp remain valid.


Employment Options


The L-2 visa spouse is allowed to work in the U.S. once EAD is filed with the USCIS and is approved.

Once you get EAD card, you should go to the Social Security office and apply for a social security number if you already don't have one.   L-2 visa holder with EAD can do any legal job or business anywhere in the U.S., part-time or full-time.  L-2 visa holder spouse cannot work in the U.S. before getting the EAD approved.

EAD for L-2 spouse is valid up to 2 years at a time.  EAD can be renewed as long as the person remains in the valid L-2 status.  Normally, L-2 visa extension is approved for the same duration that L-1 visa extension is, including the duration recaptured for the time spent outside the U.S

Educational Options

L-2 visa holders are permitted to attend school either part-time or full-time.


Immigration Options

If the L-1 visa holder applies for the green card, L-2 visa holders can also be included in that process and can apply for an adjustment of status either while they are in the U.S. or outside of the U.S.  As long as you hold a valid L-2 visa, you do not need to apply again before entering back into the U.S.


Comments are closed.