Evidence of Birth Required for a U.S. Immigrant Visa

Birth Certificate or Evidence of Birth Needed to Receive an Immigrant Visa


Applicants looking to receive an immigrant visa must submit an original and clear photocopy of their birth certificate. The birth certificate must also be in the original and official language of the state in which the applicant was born. Birth certificates should include the following pieces of information: name, date and place of birth, names of both parents, some annotation that indicates that the issuing office recognizes the certificate as an extract of its official records, and the seal of the issuing office.  Contact us for more information about your visa application. Our experienced Los Angeles immigration and visa attorneys can help you today! [LINK TO CONTACT JCS]


Cases of Incomplete or Missing Birth Certificates


If your birth certificate is unobtainable or somehow incomplete, you must still prove that you are eligible.  You can do this by submitting a “no record of birth registration” letter from the municipality in which you were born or from the village authorities along with secondary evidence as listed below.  If for some reason your birth certificate has been destroyed or if the municipality in which you were born will not issue a certificate, submit a letter from the appropriate authorities stating such. Again, if your birth certificate does not include your name in full, if your name is not stated correctly, or if there is any other piece of information missing, submit secondary evidence as described below. Finally, if your birth certificate was registered more than three years after you were born, submit a letter from the magistrate explaining the reason for the late registration.

Secondary Evidence of Birth


The following are examples of acceptable forms of secondary evidence of birth that may be submitted in those situations outlined above: baptismal certificate, adoption decree, school records, a notarized affidavit from a close relative (parent or other close relative) or close friend who was present at the time of your birth on the appropriate stamp paper which must be sworn before a First Class Magistrate. Anyone making an affidavit in support of your application must state how he or she knows your family and how he or she knows the facts surrounding your birth.

Birth Certificates for Children Who Will Be Traveling at a Later Date


If you have unmarried children under the age of 21, their birth records must be presented at the time of your application even if they will not be immigrating at the time of your application. If you have children who are deceased, a statement must be provided along with their birth certificate stating so with the year of their death. If you have adopted children who will be applying to immigrate at a later date, a certified copy of the adoption decree or deed must be submitted at the time of your application. Photocopies of these decrees are acceptable as long as the original is also available at the time of inspection by the consular officer.

If your secondary evidence of birth or birth certificate was issued in your local language, the document must be submitted along with a notarized English translation.


Comments are closed.