EB-4 Visa for Certain Special Immigrants

EB-4 Employment Based Fourth Preference Visa for Certain Special Immigrants


The EB-4 category is for special immigrants such as religious workers, certain long-time employees of the U.S. government, citizens of certain countries that have worked for the U.S. Armed Forces as a translator for at least 1 year, some physicians who have residence in the U.S. for a number of years, some dependents of diplomats, persons who have served in active duty in the U.S. armed services for certain amounts of time, etc.


Am I eligible for an EB-4 U.S. visa?

You may be eligible for an employment-based, fourth preference visa if you are a special immigrant. The following special immigrants are eligible for the fourth preference visa:

  • Religious Workers
  • Broadcasters
  • Iraqi/Afghan Translators
  • Iraqis Who Have Assisted the United States
  • International Organization Employees
  • Physicians
  • Armed Forces Members
  • Panama Canal Zone Employees
  • Retired NATO-6 employees
  • Spouses and Children of Deceased NATO-6 employees

For more information on subgroups of individuals eligible for the EB-4 visa, please read more here.  [LINK TO EB-4 ELIGIBLE GRPS]

Petitioning for an Employment-Based Fourth Preference Immigrant


To petition for an employment-based fourth preference immigrant, your employer must file a “Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant.”  However, there are certain situations where you, the employee, may self-petition on your own behalf.   Labor certification is not required for any of the Certain Special Immigrants subgroups.  If you have any questions or concerns about if you are eligible and how to petition for an EB-4 visa, please call or email our experienced Los Angeles immigration and visa attorneys at JCS Immigration and Visa Law Office.  [LINK TO CONTACT JCS]

For more information on the special qualifications required of religious workers, please read more here.  [LINK TO EB-4 REL. EMP.]


Family of EB-4 Visa Holders

Your spouse may also be admitted to the United States. Your children, unmarried under the age of 21, may be admitted to the United States. For more information please the appropriate “Green Card” link to the right.

Comments are closed.